Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Review: Deadly Little Lies by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Title: Deadly Little Lies

Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Series: Touch #2

Genre: YA Fiction

Synopsis: Last fall, sixteen year old Camelia fell for Ben, the mysterious new boy at school who turned out to have a very mysterious gift-psychometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Ben and Camelia's romance starts to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry and experiencing her own strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have rubbed off on her. Can the power of psychometry be transferred? Even once Ben returns to school, Camelia can't get close enough to him to find out. Despite the romantic tension between them, Ben remains aloof, avoiding contact. Then when a series of eerie warnings echo the threats of last semester and Ben withdraws further Camelia decides to let him go and move on. Adam, the new guy at her after school job seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't and seems to really care about her. But when Camelia and Adam start dating a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events turns up secrets from Ben's past and Adam's. Someone is lying and it is up to Camelia to figure out who before it is too late.
Overall Review: GOOD NOT BAD BAD UGLY

The second installment of Stolarz's Touch series was even better than the first. I loved Deadly Little Secrets the incredible twist at the end was captivating. I love surprises! I love when the ending of a good plot completely surprises me and makes me smack my forehead and say, "why didn't I see that!" Deadly Little Lies evoked that reaction out of me. It is going to be hard to review the book without giving away any of the plot lines. I hate spoilers! But I will do my best. I love the romantic tension between Camelia and Ben. Two characters who obviously belong together but aren't. Can you think of a more frustrating situation? Of course this normal for most series's, the two romantic interests breaking up. But even though it was expected, it didn't mean I had to like it. As much as I like Camelia, she is not my favorite character in the series. I love, love, love Camelia's best friend Kimmie. She is totally unique from her hair down to her vintage shoes. The description of her wardrobe makes me wish I was bold enough to wear her outfits. She loves to dress from different era's but mixes it up with a more current gothic vibe. Fabulous!! Oh, to be able to pull off a 60's pillbox hat....sigh! Anyway, I digress. I like how even though Kimmie is a secondary character, she is given a plot all her own which draws the reader to her. Often times, secondary characters are under appreciated but Stolarz brings them to light without letting them outshine the main characters. The multiple plot lines in the story are well developed and the main plot is well resolved. I am excited to see what will happen with Camelia in the next book of the series as to her possible gift. I recommend this book for all ages.

** Also be looking for an author interview with Laurie Faria Stolarz coming soon. I am super excited and honored that she has agreed to an interview!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites