Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: "HALO" by Alexandra Adornetto

Title: Halo

Author: Alexandra Adornetto

Genre: YA Fantasy

Synopsis: Three angels-Gabriel, the warrior, Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human-are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding human attachments. Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong. The angels' mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?

You know that old saying, "never judge a book by it's cover?" Well, I did. I absolutely loved the cover and the title of the book. Everything about it called out to me like kid to candy. So you can imagine my disappointment when it took me nearly two weeks to read it. It was one of those books that you know while your reading it that it isn't that great, but you still have hope that it will get better so you continue to read. While the book wasn't horrible, it certainly isn't on my "to buy" list. Since I always try to limit my negativity, I will begin with what I did like about the book, aside from the cover and title. The plot line was a nice change, the girl was the supernatural being, and the boy was human. I always like a little change up. I am trying to think what else I liked, but am struggling. My greatest peeve with the book is the intensity of the relationship between Bethany and Xavier. (OH, another positive in the book, I LOVE the name Xavier) Anyway, the relationship between the two main characters borders, in my opinion, on obsession. Bethany constantly feels like being two minutes without being near Xavier is unbearable. I am a hopeless romantic just like any other girl, but I become concerned especially in YA literature when teenage love is portrayed in such an intense way that one or more of the characters thinks that life is not worth living without that person. I know that teenagers feel everything ten times deeper than adults and first love is intense and it does tend to be consuming. I just feel like that the whole "I can't live without you" thing should be saved for cheesy adult movies, and country songs. While I love a good love story, I feel this relationship was way overboard. The characters are predictable but well liked, well accept maybe for Bethany. For some reason the protagonist drove me nuts. The plot was as you might expect an angel book to be about good verses evil. While not one of my fave's I do think this book will resonate with younger readers who love romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites