Monday, October 4, 2010

"Oh Maaan, Monday; Review of "Alpha" by Rachel Vincent and "Heist Society" by Ally Carter

It was a cold weekend in Georgia, and unfortunately I got a little sniffle and sore throat. Being the wimp that I am and because of the fact that I hate being sick (I mean really, who likes it?) I stayed in bed all weekend and got caught up on some reading. I read 2... count them 2 books this weekend, and it was wonderful. Of course I took a break to watch my UGA Dawgs lose, again, for the fourth week in a row. Considering that, I am glad that both of the books I read were really good and cheered me up. (well, only a little bit. Seriously, we are 1-5 and 0-3 conference!)
Anyway, enough with depressing football stats and on to the good things this chilly, October Monday has in store. First.....the reviews!







Title: Alpha






Author: Rachel Vincent





Genre: Adult Urban Fantasy
Series: Shifter's book 6

Synopsis: The unscrupulous new Council chair has charged Jace, Marc and me with trespassing, kidnapping, murder and treason. Yeah, we've been busy. But now it is time to take justice into our own hands. We much avenge my brothers death and carve out the rot at the heart of the Council. It's not going to be easy, and loss seems unavoidable, but I have promised to protect my Pride, no matter what. With a target on my back and Marc at my side, I'm heading for the final showdown that can-that- will change everything forever. A showdown I'm not sure I'm ready for. But life never waits until you're ready...But life never waits until you're ready.

Overall Review: FREAKING GOOD, GOOD, NOT BAD, BAD, or UGLY

I know that I have said over and over on this blog how much I freaking LOVE Rachel Vincent, and her Shifter's series. Seriously, Shifter's is my equivalent to "Twi-Hard's" Twilight series and Rachel Vincent is my Stephanie Meyer. I have read the entire series at least six times leading up to Alpha the final book in the series :( ! This week it came out, and I of course I dropped everything I was doing to read it. It was everything I knew it would be and more. I laughed, I cried, I got pissed off. It was PERFECT! And it ended the way I wanted it to. I am more than sad to see this amazingly unique series end, and to say goodbye to a bunch of character with whom I have fallen in love with. That being said, I also think it great that the series is going out while it is on top, instead of dragging it out and boring us to death, (ahem,... P.C and Kristin Cast). It is better for a series to end with the reader wishing it wouldn't than having the reverse be true, right?? If you have ignored my pleas, demands and guilt trips about reading the works of Rachel Vincent, STOP IT NOW! Pick up the first book in the series, Stray, I promise you won't regret it and you will be hooked. This is a must read for all Adult Urban fantasy lovers.






Title: Heist Society






Author: Ally Carter






Genre: YA Fiction

Synopsis: When Katarina Bishop was three her parents to her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen she a planned a con of her own...scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately...leaving "the life" is not that easy. Soon, Kat is pulled back into the life when a dangerous mobster's valuable painting are stolen and the only suspect is Kat's father. Along with a motley crew of six of the best junior thieves in the country, Kat plans the biggest heist of her young life, and it is more crucial than ever that she pull it off. Since the stakes are high, and her father isn't the only loved one of Kat whose life in in danger.

Overall Review: FREAKING GOOD GOOD NOT BAD BAD UGLY
I am big fan of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series so I wasn't surprised that I really enjoyed this book. I love a wholesome book, that has a lot of action and of course innocent romance. Carter has created a very clever plot. It is the Ocean's 11 of Y.A literature, at least in my book. The protagonist Kat is a fairly forgettable, although likable character. The majority of the characters are cliches, Kat, the underplayed beauty whom everyone loves and follows,. Hale, the hot but bored bad boy billionaire, who, of course, is in love with Kat. Gabrielle, the short skirted, obvious beauty. Simon, the geeky tech genius and of course the Bragshaw twins, Angus and Hamish, the goofy, trouble makers. Despite the cliche's the book is a light wonderful read, that keeps you guessing about who the mysterious thief is that framed Kat's dad. I recommend it for all ages and am happy to admit that most adults will enjoy it as well.


**Okay, now for my favorite part of the day. . ."Oh Maaan, Monday"

Today's hot man-candy from literature is. . .Jace Hammond from The Shifter's Series. He has been on my mind all weekend, since I read Alpha. Last Monday, I picked Marc, from the series, it is kind of fitting that I picked Jace this week, since he is the competition for Faythe's heart. Jace is a free spirited, playboy who's heart was tamed by Faythe. His has sandy brown, and piercing cobalt blue eyes. He is funny, sexy and best of all he shifts into a badass werecat. Reader's of the series, will love Jace.


The hot celeb that I have picked to play Jace in the Shifter's movie is. . . Jake Gyllenhaal!











No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites